E. "Merita" Lewis-Spencer
Register of Deeds - Hyde County, NC


The premarital physical is no longer required.

Both bride and groom must present picture identification.

Applicants 16 or 17 years of age must have written parental consent and certified copies of their birth certificate in order to acquire a license. Please contact the Register of Deeds office at 252-926-4182 for further information.

Both bride and groom must provide their Social Security numbers and verification of the number. Applicants may present a Social Security card, W-2 form, or pay stub with the number as verification.

Applicants who are not eligible for a Social Security number may obtain a marriage license by presenting a notarized affidavit that states "I have not been issued a social security number by the US government and I am not eligible to obtain one." The affidavit is available in the Register of Deeds office.

Divorced applicants must provide the month and year of their last divorce. There is no waiting period between the divorce and applying for the new license.

The license is good immediately upon issuance and is valid for 60 days.

The fee for the license is $60.00. Only cash is accepted as payment.

Marriage licenses are issued between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding Holidays.

Applicants should be in our office prior to 4:00 p.m. if possible. Hyde County Courthouse, 30 Oyster Creek Road. Swan Quarter, NC 27885.

If you need a copy of your marriage license, you may acquire it at our office in person or you may request it by mail at P. O. Box 294, Swan Quarter, NC 27855. Please be sure to sign your request.

To speed up the application processing time, you may print out the application and bring the completed form with you to the Register of Deeds office. Download form.

Powered By: